Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Purple Cow

Seth Godin's book Purple Cow Another book worth owning This morning over coffee, I was re-visiting Seth Godin's book Purple Cow. Most refreshing. At least the majority of the book. As I have mentioned before (and this book actually highlights this fact!), there are a lot of things that Godin writes that I find simply wrong. But where we agree, or where I am unprepared to agree with him, but do so anyhow, it is very motivational. He talks of my favorite car, the 2008 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Cadillac CTS. Of course he was talking about the first version (as this book is copyright 2002). He tells how ugly it is, and therefore, how well it is selling! The Cadillac CTS is remarkable IMNSHO, only with the updated version released as a 2008 model, is it truly a "Purple Cow". But again, Godin says, "potato" and I say root. Today's lesson was: "The Law of Large Numbers" He talked of buying 30 million banner ads for $600 but only selling $500 worth of stuff. I have long argued that it is not always about the numbers... sometimes, quality counts. As in personal contact. No, not via the phone or email (or even fax!). Jump on your motorcycle (or if you must, jump in your car, preferably the CTS) and pay the client or prospect a physical, in their face, old fashion SALES call. Do one today Before its too late! As I have repeatedly stated, there is no recession. The weak dollar is killing us but at the same time it is a huge (largely) untapped potential benefactor! For those with eyes to see and ears to hear! My favorite car salesman shared a valuable lesson with me: "There is always someone who needs to buy a new car." Realtors: "There is always someone who needs to buy a new house." Until you realize that there is always someone that needs your service, you might be subject to the whims of the media. They have predicted something like 14 of the last two recessions. You do not have to listen to anyone's message of gloom and despair. I remember Jimmy Carter's last State of the Union message. No wonder he only carried like two states against eternal optimist Ronald Reagan! Carter told us that America "was over" and that our free enterprise system had stripped the economy of its last resources. How sad... and wrong! Life is exactly what you make of it So, as Doc Brown (in Back to the Future III) said, no one's future is written, it is up to each of us, "... so make it a good one!" I am in NorthEast Ohio for an extended period... so, if you have a business that you no longer want, give me a call. I could use the challenge and the extra cash. Did I mention how important cashflow is? -ski P.S. Oh yea, I did so yesterday. P.P.S. If you really want to make some money, instead of just one sales call, how about ten? Or fifteen? Or, how about "what ever it takes?" ---- Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah Strategy, Tactics & Execution Dover, OH | Hilton Head Island, SC | Las Vegas, NV Cell: +1 330.432.3533 tag: ©2008 Throughput.us LLC. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus