Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Mind Game



Mind Game
Business, like golf is played on a 5-1/2" course...
"The space between your ears." -Bobby Jones
Years ago, Thayer and I debated using the word karma in an article. Five and one-half years ago, it was not mainstream enough. Today, I doubt we would give it a second thought.

I am suggesting that your opinion concerning karma is important. At least to me. Les Brown tells that "If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you can't." It is determined by that playing field between your ears. I suggest Bobby Jones was a legend in his own mind, before the world ever noticed. Like Jack Nicklaus and his power of focus. Mind games.

Ever heard the expression, "Stinkin Thinkin?"

If you fail to recognize how important your mental attitude is, I am telling you that you are leaving a lot of money on the table. Part of my Purple Curve Effect message is that of involving others. Please do not assume that only implies those among the living. Consider Deming.
"Without theory, there is no learning…Theory is a window into the world. Theory leads to prediction. Without prediction, examples and experience teach nothing. To copy an example of success, without understanding it with the aid of theory, may lead to disaster." -W. Edwards Deming
The word "theory" is a slippery word at best (outside the scientific community). To me, it means "thinking stuff up." Like the folks at NASA. Like I do most every morning over coffee. How many of you are old enough to remember the "What if?" HP commercials on TV from the 1980s (as I recall)... where the guy has a thought in the shower, then runs through the house in a towel, dripping on his wife's hardwood floor (as she looks on, unlike my wife, with nothing but a smile) as he heads for the computer?

Allow me to translate Deming: "Without thinking stuff up, there is no learning."

I challenge myself to think more stuff up each day. Then, to get up and test those thoughts.

The "Mind Game" poster, framed under glass, hangs in my office.

Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
www.ThroughputPress.com

P.S. It hangs next to my "Indian Chief 74" motorcycle artwork.

tag:
(c)Copyright 2007, Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey.
All rights reserved.

blog comments powered by Disqus