Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hospitality 2010

SKI on Hospitality The Pineapple International sign of hospitality. My involvement with the industry took center stage in 1998 when AHA (American Hospitality Academy) requested a new computer application. Over the years I have been privileged to work on some great projects with Cindi Reiman and the team at AHA. What started as an eCommerce solution helped me transition my business consulting with an emphasis on strategy. In fact, today, I do very little technology consulting. It is 80% Business Strategy and Implementation. With special focus on the Sales & Marketing functions. But I digress... My clients have (and in some cases, still do) include a number of vacation rental companies in great get-a-way locations like Hilton Head Island, Myrtle Beach, and Gulf Shores. Plus old fashion institutions like hotels and motels in such spots, including my winter favorite, Ft. Lauderdale. I recall one case where the front desk staff almost refused to book rooms for guests. Why you might ask? Because the number of complaints were large and policy denied any refunds. Not under any circumstances. How do you turn such a situation around in just 90 days? Easy—determine the weakest link! There has never been a better time to purchase or expand that hospitality business than right now, Summer 2010. Does that mean everyone who does will be successful? Hardly. Consider common sense No, not "common practices" but common every day "kitchen sink logic" as a colleague calls it. In the case of that motel with a crew that hated renting rooms, the fix was easy, once the problem was properly analyzed. The short answer: we took seven rooms out of service that had no business being offered to guests, and immediately implemented a cheerful 100% money back guarantee. In my book, I call it testing. I suggest you test. Then test some more. Then do even more testing. If people want their money back, you did a terrible job managing expectations. Period It has nothing to do with price points or features. Need help? Call me. Before someone beats you to the draw. Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah (330) 432-3533 http://throughput.us The right people first—then flawless execution™ ©2010 Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus