Friday, November 16, 2007

Chapter Three


STARTUPS: The Purple Curve Effect
by Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey
and Thayer Bennett Dudack

Chapter Three :: The Dream

Pulling off Interstate 95 at "Destination Daytona" and turning into the parking, the difference was apparent. In October, Biketoberfest was in full bloom, and it took me ten minutes to get parked. Gone now are all the cones, traffic cops, and the two thousand Harleys!

Wheeling a four wheel "cage" onto a lot full of motorcycles is always concern. Finding a parking spot on the end of the lot, away from the dings of other car doors was easy. Nearby was a Porsche Boxter. A great looking car, and at one point a car on my wish list. But the CTS really has exceeded my expectations.

As Dylan wraps up "Things have Changed" (how appropriate, another of life's sycronisities), I reach for my journal. The odometer agrees with my plan: 263 miles. Exactly. As the late, great Col. Hannibal Smith (of The A Team) would say, "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Now onto the mission: checking out the new Buell 1125R, the first water-cooled Buell. As I quickly walk through the store, I am reminded of the masses of bikers overfilling the store. Now almost all gone. But soon to return for Bike Week in March.

There it is: the 1125R.

Wow!

As with most things, the photos that I have seen just do not do it justice. It is wider than expected. Which seems to make it look shorter and closer to the ground. Thats when I notice the handlebars: clip ons, like the Firebolt. I prefer the more upright seating of the Lightning. Finally, a salesman appears and grants permission to straddle the 146HP beast.

Oh yea.

It would have been easy to simply cross the newest Buell off my dream list, that is right up to point when I sat on it. Too late. Any chance or test riding it? "No."

Harley-Davidson corporate figured out years ago, the test ride only cause more problems than not allowing them. The non-rider would get the idea one Saturday to buy a bike after his neighbor brought one home, rush into the dealership, and roll a $20,000 piece of art into a ball of junk. Ouch. One of the reasons Harley carts a tractor trailer full of new bikes from dealership to dealership, offering free rides. To those with proper gear. Including a motorcycle endorsement.

WIth a great full-color brochure in hand, I re-enter the CTS. It takes just a minute to update my journal, noting that the 1125R is worthy of the pursuit. And worthy of fielding the comment from my wife, "Why do you need another motorcycle?" The short answer is simply, because. Because I want one. Because it motivates me to do the work necessary to earn it. Because it is a great masterpiece of American ingenuity. Erik Buell is a master at capturing the imagination, and delivering on the promise of "owning the corners."

My first two Buells only served to reinforce the desire to own more of them. As the "sport bike" of the Harley-Davidson brand, the Buell is a most misunderstood bike. Up until now, they really could not hang with the metric sport bikes. The 1125R should change all that in March at the track on the other side of town. As an American, I am proud to own an American sport bike. I made the decision in the wake of the events of September 11th to embrace my heritage, and focus on American based products. Like my new Cadillac.

Beep-Beep.

My phone alerts to me to the fact that "dream building" time is up. Get to Starbucks, and then head over to Orlando to pickup my wife at the airport.

And don't be late!

(c)Copyright 2007 by Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey. All rights reserved.


Drafts are available by request to those that cannot wait until the book is complete.
Simply write me a note at: ski@throughputpress.com


-ski

Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
www.Throughput.US
(330) 432-3533

blog comments powered by Disqus