Friday, December 15, 2006

Nothing proves like time

John Bray "gets it" He claims that online booking will exceed traditional booking in 2007 I concur. Back in October 2000, I created an Open Source based module to help tip this movement... in fact, at an industry conference and workshop, my company, eDivision.net LLC had a vendor booth to promote our wares... complete with a press release crafted in part by Thayer Bennett. What happened at the conference? Nothing. We did not sign up one vacation rental company. Why? The complete answer would fill a textbook... the short answer: most attendees were too busy putting out fires to see the future bearing down on their industry. They are not alone. We all do it. Yes, even the SKI man. I did not get RSS feeds for the longest time (90 days, which is a life time in our connected and web oriented world). And for all my preaching, very few of my colleagues use RSS on a daily basis. FYI: my home page is bloglines dot com. But I digress... The good news, the client we developed the RMS2WEB app for went on to sell the business a few years later for many millions of dollars. Yes, they were already a leader. Da. But the millions in real dollars that I helped book (in real time) played a part in the valuation. One of the principals made a great observation in 2000, when I mentioned my frustration at the lack of interest in my solution. He said basically, sorry about your luck, but that is good news for me. In less than a year of implementing my product, 80% of his business was being booked via the web. Oh well. As the late Colonel Hannibal Smith (George Peppard) said: "I just love it when a plan comes together!" Colour me right. Again. It will not be the last time. Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah www.ThroughputPress.com (c)Copyright 2006, Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
blog comments powered by Disqus