Wednesday, October 01, 2008

More on Throughput

Lets have some more Throughput What's on your calendar? First, remember that I define "throughput" as more money in your pocket. Now. And even more money in your pocket in the future. You gotta love iCal on the Apple Mac and iPod touch Well, I do. On my calendar, I actually have 13 different 'calendars' or categories in which I track my activities. Today. Yesterday it was only 12. With a simple toggle, I can display (or hide) the events of those different categories. Shown above is the 'strategy' calendar for this new month. Every morning I awake to the requirement to create more throughput (money in my pocket). Why? Money makes it possible to do other things of value. Like make the world a better place. Or ride a great American motorcycle to great American destinations like Sturgis or Daytona Beach (or Hilton Head Island, South Carolina). What charities are you involved with? Can you say with any confidence that the world is (present tense) a better place because of your existence? Not sure? Or, is it all about you? Have you failed to give it much thought? As for me, I think about it most days (and some nights). I cannot say how or why or even when I started looking at the world through this lens of "am I making a difference in the world." It might have happened during my first college course at Kent State University (Tuscarawas Campus) in the fall of 1979 in Bob Ney's Intro to Business class. I had owned several businesses (and therefore made numerous mistakes) and at my wife's insistence was using my veterans benefits to get an education and learn what mistakes I had made, and therefore, hoped to learn how to avoid making as many on the next business that I bought or created. But I digress... Focus One of the most powerful forces on planet Earth. Without focus, who can predict where they might end up, or worse, if they will have led a life worth living? Heavy stuff... but it is the first of a new month, and a great time to think some new thoughts. And to purge those thoughts that are not producing the necessary throughput (e.g. money!). So, take a break today. Get away (from it all) for a few minutes. What thoughts are racing through your mind concerning throughput? Take a blank piece of paper, and write down the numbers one through seven, like this: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. There is no real magic to a list of seven (well, okay, there is, but that is a subject for another day), but it is a good starting point in order to open your thought process to the possibilities. Now, what thoughts are great items to consider for this list of seven? Throughput What do you like to do? Me? Read about business success. Okay, what is the profit potential in that? Probably not very good. And yet, what if I read a lot, from a lot of sources, and then formulate some theories about the subject matter (business), then test this synergy of ideas on real businesses, then refined my theories and test them some more? See where this is headed? I simply did exactly that small thing The result: Purple Curve Effect — SKI's Throughput on Command (the book). Now available for just $14.00USD (plus $3.00 shipping & handling). So, what are your thoughts on throughput for your life? Need a mentor? Send me your list of seven. -ski P.S. I forgot to mention that I absolutely love my iPod touch... and it syncs right up to iCal on my Mac mini. Plus, I can skim my emails and twitter most everywhere (that WiFi may be found)... Thanks Steve Jobs and Tim Cook (et al). ---- Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah Strategy, Tactics & Execution Dover, OH | Hilton Head Island, SC | Las Vegas, NV Cell: +1 330.432.3533 ©2008 Throughput.us LLC. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus