Saturday, October 13, 2007

Crying Indian



WARNING: Sour Grapes

The image that comes to my mind when I think about the Indian Motorcycle? Not the motorcycle and certainly not the company that is trying to recreate the legend.

It is Iron Eyes Cody. Probably most famous for his TV commercial asking Americans to stop littering.

It is with such disappointment that I watch the 'new' Indian motorcycle fiasco... the sour grapes warning is simple: I applied to Indian to serve as director of manufacturing back in 2005. Then again in 2006. Maybe even once early in 2007. See, back in 2004/2005, I was the Director of Manufacturing for Red Horse Motorworks.

I showed the organization how to double monthly production while I decreased WIP by 50%. Yes, you read that correctly. But I digress...

In late 2006 or very early 2007, Indian started taking deposits on 2008 motorcycles that were to ship in the fourth quarter of 2007. I knew they had yet to formalize a number of decisions required to actually produce bikes in time to honor that commitment.

Now we are told bikes will roll off the line late in 2008. Another promise.

Now do you see my connection to Iron Eyes Cody?

--ski

Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
www.throughput.us

tag: Indian Motorcycle

blog comments powered by Disqus