Sunday, June 22, 2008

And on the Sabbath...




"... God created the small block Chevy"

Growing up in Ohio (what some have called, Rustbelt Central), we took the automobile very seriously... I recall writing this slogan over and over in study hall during my high school years. Probably even during class.

Think about it: what could be more restful or relaxing than building a Chevy 327ci small block engine? Having rebuilt two in my youth, few activities have done more to get my spirits up. And such it was reading Josh Waitzkin's book, The Art of Learning.

Slowing down time :: Just one of the chapters

Thanks again to Tim Ferriss for pointing out this work of art. It pays to have have smart friends... even if that friendship is based solely only on reading his blog.

I would suggest that most American's know Josh from the movie made about his early years: Searching for Bobby Fisher. As Paul Harvey says, "Here is the rest of the story." And it is a great story. But it is more than that, it is a owners' manual of sorts for those seeking to increase their effectiveness. In business? For sure. But it is more than that, it is a guide to overcoming each and every roadblock that one might face. Yes, in life. And business.

As I have mentioned on more than one occasion, there are seven books that I consider "must reads" in order to make the most out of business adventures. Waitzkin challenges me to expand that list to eight, or drop an otherwise exceptional book. In the next few days and weeks, I will be sharing that list publicly, and only then, will I make my decision.

In the mean time, while you are relaxing over that small block Chevy rebuild, pick up this book. As much as I wanted to jump to Eli Goldratt's newest book, Inherent Simplicity, I stayed the course and was rewarded nicely.


-ski

P.S. Need help changing the world? For me, it starts with me, and this book has become a catalyst in my search for answers on how to be more effective. Your mileage may vary...

P.P.S. It was Ferriss' great post on bad multitasking that led me to the book... I trust for those readers now in their fourth year on my blog, that you have eliminated the deadliest virus known to success. But I digress...

----
Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
www.throughput.us
+1 330 432-3533

tag:
©2008 Throughput.us LLC. All rights reserved.



blog comments powered by Disqus