Sunday, October 19, 2008

Biz Connection HowTo

Nicholas Boothman's How to Connect in Business Some ideas just ring true Nicholas Boothman's "how to Connect in business" is one of those books that I find myself returning to, over and over. Almost two years ago (wow, how time flies!) I wrote this review on the book. A book that I bought as a Christmas present to myself when I was on a consulting assignment in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The client was in the hotel (hospitality) business and in the wake of the events of 911, throughput (money in the pocket!) was scarce. One of the secrets in this book is the "Eye Color Test" — and I offered it up to the front desk staff as a way to build trust with guests checking in, or just as importantly, prospects shopping prices on the grand stand. This morning's review over coffee brought this passage to light:
"Trust must come first."
That is not just a theory, it is a law! Break it at great risk to your effectiveness. Most have heard of southern hospitality and, it is a real and ever present mindset for a lot of people raised in the south. However, as more and more northerners (me included) settle in the warmer climates of America, this brand of treatment is in danger of joining the dinosaurs. How sad. But I digress... The other day I was reviewing some of my notes on a sales training program, and the first step in the process was "building trust" with the suspect. The method even had a very simple rule: you cannot proceed to the second step, until the first step builds some level of real trust. Ever notice the connectedness of the universe? I have never been more excited for the future. Many of us have heard the misquote from Richard M. Nixon, Condoleezza Rice and Al Gore that the Chinese symbol for crisis is formed from the symbols for "danger" and "opportunity". The truth according to Wikipedia is that it is formed from the symbols for "danger" and "crucial point". Even better! In other words when faced with danger, we get to decide! The old adage, fight or flight. When you hear that Wall Street is gyrating in huge 700+ point loops, yes, there is danger. But there is also great opportunity for gain at this crucial point. But again, Wall Street is only 20% of the picture down on Main Street. Need help making sense of your business? Get help! I am looking for businesses in Northeast Ohio to purchase. Or to consult with. Basically to "turn around" in the strict sense of generating more throughput. And that throughput will most likely take the form first, of creating more cashflow which should lead to more profits. But only if that is one of the primary goals of the organization. As Zig Ziglar says, we need to start asking ourselves the tough question: "Does this decision before me take me closer to my goal, or further away?" -ski P.S. As one method for building trust, I offer a "results-based" pricing option for clients... ---- Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah Strategy, Tactics & Execution Dover, OH | Hilton Head Island, SC | Las Vegas, NV Cell: +1 330.432.3533 tag: ©2008 Throughput.us LLC. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus