Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Looking for Good Help

Need a great employee? I know this guy... Or gal. Young. Old. Tall. Short. "Just right!" My "connecting" skills (ala The Tipping Point) are probably my greatest skill. I have done at times a lot of recruiting over the years. But never held the title. Pop quiz: Are there more companies look for great talent? Or more "best in class" employees looking for the perfect job? I vote for more companies seeking the right people. Why do I say that? I know a few things about results. Or "throughput" as I prefer to call it. Like the fact that the wrong people can put you out of business. Quickly. That as cries from the news media about a tough economy continue to escalate, great leadership skills are going to be in ever decreasing supply. Yes, I know that almost no one understands the ramifications of layoffs, and Peter Drucker must turn over in his grave almost daily. Have you heard the statistic that small business is responsible for 70% of the jobs in America? I would suggest that the 80/20 rule is closer to the facts, but I digress... If so, why does Wall Street matter? The gyrations of the stock market are the noise within about 20% of the employers in America. Sure, there are lessons to be learned. But lets not assume that, "as goes Wall Street, so goes America." Remember too that a lot of large businesses (especially the ones taking advantage of the weak dollar) are doing well in spite of the media coverage of the poor performers. Bottom line: I know some great people that might be convinced to trade teams for the right opportunity at an organization that "gets it" as we say. When you have used up your Monster dot com credits, give me a shout. -ski P.S. And no, they typically will not use your offer as a stepping stone to something better. ---- Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah Strategy, Tactics & Execution Dover, OH | Hilton Head Island, SC | Las Vegas, NV Cell: +1 330.432.3533 tag: ©2008 Throughput.us LLC. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus