Monday, July 26, 2010

Positioning vs. Branding

Ries & Trout on Positioning POSITIONING "The Battle for Your Mind" by Ries & Trout Ever notice how words evolve over time? In some cases almost like fads, the meaning of some words change so fast! This is, as the header of the book cover suggests, a "marketing classic" of the first order. I first bought this book in May 1996 while working as a Business Analyst consulting at Lexis-Nexis just outside Dayton, Ohio. Why? I knew there was more to life than sitting in front of a workstation (even a nice one like the Sun on my desk) in a bullpen with five other consultants. By the way, if anyone cares, my productivity dropped in half when you took me out of my own cubicle and stuck me in the bullpen. But I digress... Within minutes of starting to re-read this book, I was reminded that most business folks should study positioning before they talk about branding. It would clear up a lot of mis-communication. Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah ski@throughput.us ©2010 Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus