Sunday, April 25, 2010

Unlimited Wealth?

Unlimited Wealth by Paul Zane Pilzer Great use of the word "theory" Unlimited Wealth by Paul Zane Pilzer In the world of business, nothing can derail comprehension faster than mentioning the word "theory" to describe a process or methodology. Take Eli Goldratt's Theory of Constraints (TOC) for example. Basically a collection of silver bullets as well as a philosophy that leverages what some have called "uncommon common sense" to solve business challenges, TOC drops the "T" word and the street-smart and thoroughly savvy business owners go weak in the knees. But I digress... I bought Pilzer's book back in 1993 and skimmed it ever so lightly (it is not for the faint of heart IMNSHO). I heard Pilzer wax poetic live on at least one occasion, but just could not get my mind past the "other" word: Alchemy. Reminder: I had read Goldratt's "The Goal" (explaining the first major application of TOC, DBR — Drum-Buffer-Rope in 1992). And yes, the "T" word bothered me at first glance. Alchemy sounds like, well, snake oil. And in some regards it was (mostly for the focus on trying to turn base metals into gold). But like other concepts that have a bad rep, it really does deserve further study. Pilzer explains alchemy in terms that separates the snake oil salesmen from the lessons to be learned from studying the core concept. In fact, he explains it in terms of the Six Laws of Alchemy. What took me by surprise as I started re-reading Unlimited Wealth was it's dependency on technology. Valid technology. In some regards as part and parcel of the framework for modern Alchemy. If you have not read it (or not in the last two or three years), may I suggest you pick it back up, dust it off, and dig in. Then, let me know what it says to you about our future... But more importantly, what it says about your future! -ski ©2010 Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus