Thursday, December 18, 2008

StockTwits and $JAVA

Sun Micro (JAVA) view from new twitter app StockTwits Kinda depressing, isn't it? I do not understand why more companies do not go private. Sun Micro ($JAVA) has a market cap around $3B and over $2B in cash on hand. Note to Jonathan Schwartz:
Ask your yourself the tough question... What business is Sun Micro in?
I sure can't tell. Remember when Sun made great SPARC hardware and ran UNIX? I was there in the trenches when Solaris was taking over from SunOS v4.x ... working help desk issues at Lexis-Nexis during the transition. Our helpdesk app was running Sybase on a Sun SPARC server. That is where I learned TCL (another Sun product of sorts)... but I digress. StockTwits dot com received $800K in funding, so I went over to take a look. Amazing. I have been trying to figure out twitter monetization models with little success. Not sure where StockTwits is headed, but I love this simple (as in not complex) app. It knows EXACTLY what is does! Well, while playing around with it, I jump over to look at Sun's ticker (JAVA) and was amazed. Shocked actually. So I fired off a note to "MrSun" (Schwartz' twitter account) suggesting that he get a StockTwits account and take a look at his chart (monthly mode) from this new vantage point. I went on to suggest that he should take it private. Rumors are flying that he should be axed. I do not follow Sun close enough to know. However, as the saying goes, "If a fish stinks, it stinks from the head first." But again, to me, no one seems to be asking the right questions. Like, why buy MySQL? Like, why push everything except your hardware? Sun Micro was a great company with the best products in the UNIX world, IMNSHO. Today, I just don't know what (or who) they are. Do you? -ski ---- Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah Strategy, Tactics & Execution Dover, OH | Hilton Head Island, SC | Las Vegas, NV Disclaimer: I do not own Sun stock at this moment in time. However, that could change at any moment. ©2008 Throughput.us LLC. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus