Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Third Tenet

Third Tenet from Purple Curve Effect
  • Only lists that we make for ourselves for activities that we must accomplish are worthy of our attention

Edison knew it. I know it. Do you?

While out the other day with my better half, I picked up a book and started reading it... from the beginning. Which is somewhat rare for me. It had been several weeks since I read my own book!

It is better than I thought. In fact, I am amazed each and every time I spend any time with it. Thayer deserves a ton of credit. For all the obvious reasons, and one not so obvious. I had asked a number of Theory of Constraints experts to look over the final draft before we went to press. Most came back with a number of hints and minor issues to correct.

A few came back, sharing their disappointment. One even suggested that I not publish it.

Two years later, it is still getting mixed reviews. From guys like me, simple but honest and hard working, still trying to figure it out on their own, the praise has been very good. That is exactly the audience I wrote it for. But after a couple of early reviews, I wanted to make some major changes. Thayer was ready to blow a gasket. She encouraged me to "stay the course."

I did. Thank you Thayer.

Edison knew that rules or policies or what the neighbor next door thought, was not only unimportant, it was wrong! Since retiring, the biggest joy for me has been doing exactly what I want, when I want [with few exceptions].

I do not multi-task

Neither should you. Computers? Fine. Humans cannot be effective serving more than one master. I told a great story, that Earl Nightingale told, about the power of the list. About Focus. About success.

Which, in the third part of Purple Curve Effect -- SKI's Throughput on Command, became the third Purple Curve Insight:

  • TOC is based on uncommon common sense

I then went on to talk about cashflow. By the way, I am not going to give away the whole book. I made the PDF version available for just two bucks. Why? Because even at my lowest points, I almost always had two bucks. So if you need the answers to breaking out of your rut, buy the PDF. Then, as you get on and success starts taking hold, buy the paperback.

Better yet, buy two and give one away!

Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah Constraints Management Guru

P.S. Write the best book review of my book, and win a copy of Dettmer's Strategic Navigation

blog comments powered by Disqus