Sunday, October 21, 2007

263 miles: Daytona Beach Biketoberfest



What a great ride...

So much for an early start. I slept in. A rare event of late. But was on the road by 11am for what turned out to be a great ride and a lot of fun.

This is probably the sweet spot for a trip on the Harley-Davidson vRod. You can "run with the big dogs" like the 2008 Corvette that passed me, and yet find comfort with a pack of sport bikes. Of course, the 2004 vRod has a gas tank the size of a big gulp... great for a Cokee Cola, not so great for petro! The upside of a 100+mile tank is simple: after an hour or so of riding, a pit stop is in order.

Yet, I still managed to average a respectable 65.75mph for the trip down, pulling in Rossmeyer's "Destination Daytona" Harley-Davidson/Buell at 3pm... so cruising at 70mph, my pit stops must have been NASCAR worthy! {grin}

I cannot imagine not riding a motorcycle. Thanks Todd. I had gotten away from them for a while, stuck in the four wheeled cages of complacency... although the Merkur XR4Ti was a lot of fun to drive... till my second (notice I did not say my 'last') one burned to the ground. I now have ridden one or more of my motorcycles in 19 of the 50 United States of America. But I digress.

I experienced the 'Destination', met my son for a cup of coffee, and was back home by 10pm.

There were a lot of bikes... some good looking customs (nothing as cool as my all black & chrome Turismo Signature Edition), but only one worthy of consideration: a leftover Competition Red/Orange colored 2007 Buell XB12Ss with matching rims... at $8995, it would require the trading in of the vRod. Something to consider...

--ski
blog comments powered by Disqus