Saturday, June 16, 2007

Success is as Success does


In Purple Curve Effect, I offer seven tips for generating throughput. My working definition of throughput is simply, "more money in your pocket."

Too often, folks get hung up on window dressing. One advantage of cruising the country side on a motorcycle is people do not have very high expectations of the rider. Back in the late 1980's (man, that seems like eons ago!) I preferred a white dresss shirt and blue jeans. Today, it is jeans and my Turismo Cycles 'golf' shirt complete with a pocket. But I digress...

I worded these seven points differently in the book. And well, even I have trouble remembering them in order (although order is not all that important). So for the last couple of weeks, over my morning coffee at Starbucks, I have been working on phrases that help drive the message home.

So, what do you think?

Is this version helpful? Let me explain them at some length. For those whom strengths lie elsewhere...

Number One: "Dreaming" is the most important step. Period. Always. For ever. But it is not sufficient. How can you have a dream come true without a dream. In the book I called it, "Write down your Goal." Kind of sterile. Sam Walton was a dreamer. Steve Jobs is a dreamer. I have been all my life. Sure, "stuff happens" and the birds come to pick over your bones, but we have a choice! Dream bigger dreams. Ask. You have not, because you ask not. Oh yea, be careful what you ask for...

Number Two: "Make a List." Of everything. Think stuff up! Pretend you work for NASA. Think about the challenges to be solved in launching that new product line. Make lists of issues to resolve. Possible markets to enter. Or exit! Lists of people to involve. Or not involve! Make a list of questions that you need answers for, in order to proceed. You will be amazed how people just happen to pop into your life when you are on a mission.

Number Three: "Visualize the End Results." See them complete. Making money, or generating goodwill, or whatever makes sense in terms of throughput for your dream. See that ribbon cutting. Who was there? Add them to your list of invitees! Imagine your bank's staff knowing AND calling you by name as you come in for yet another deposit!

Number Four: "Develop a Project Plan for Success." I now prefer "reverse engineer" by far! See the end result and plan backwards (thanks again to Tony Rizzo for this insight). It is easier to build something (almost anything) if you have a copy to steal from! You can see the process. And as you dissect your vision, you will see shortcuts that the competion may have missed.

Number Five: "Involve Others." Still my favorite. But the "shop it around" phrase seems more timely. Why climb that mountain or swim that raging river alone? The view is almost always sweeter when you enjoy it with others. No one to share the challenge with? Call me. I only charge 10% (you get the other 90%!). Remember Jim Collins: "it is the RIGHT people that are your greatest asset."

Number Six: "Find a Working Model and Steal it." The magazine that I used as a model for TOCreview was not profitable. My bad using it as a model. Who do you know that is making a lot of throughput (money!)? Study them. Their business model(s). Can you apply those concepts in a slightly different manor or marketplace? Experiment. Test. Refine.

Number Seven: "Create a Feedback Loop" became "POOGI - Process of On-Going Improvement." That now gives way to the late Col. John Boyd's OODA Loop. He invented the maneuver you heard about in the movie "Top Gun." Remember when they all are in the tac trailer reviewing film of maneuvers and Maverick gets chewed out for a stunt that actually works? And the guy behind him lends over and whispers, "Gutsiest move I ever saw!" Thanks to H. William Dettmer for sharing his discovery of Boyd with me.

Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Publisher

P.S. How have you adopted the seven tips?

P.P.S. You do know about the MP3s that are now available, right?

P.P.P.S. This blog entry as an MP3 is available now.

(c)Copyright 2007, Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey.
All rights reserved.

blog comments powered by Disqus