Monday, September 14, 2009

#708 Life after Lay Off

Laid off? What is the best book? In July of 2007 while walking the aisles of Barnes & Noble on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, I noticed this book by Tim Ferriss. Interesting cover. I have spent no small amount of time in a hammock by the waters edge... yet the title really got my attention! The 4-hour Workweek Back in January 2008 I was sharing about the importance of protecting one's Personal Time and shared a link to Tim's blog. Which by the way is one of my top ten blogs to track each day. I am amazed how few people that need to know what is happening in their industry or career (or just life in general!) use RSS feeds. Without bloglines I would miss at least 20% or more (probably much more!) of the important stuff that is important to me... but I digress. Well, I started re-reading "4 hour" from the vantage point of, "I just got laid off. Now what?" Amazing No, actually, it is profound. By the way, if you picked this book up as a direct result of being outplaced, I would love to talk to you. Write me. Today. Need an example of the wisdom? From page 24:
"The first principal is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." —Richard P. Feynman
Get the idea? Tim goes on to say (on the next page) that one's options are limitless, "but each path begins with the same first step: replacing assumptions." What assumptions have you made that are cheating you out of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"? Lets talk about it. Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey ski@throughput.us P.S. Yes, I am serious. I want to hear from you. (c)2009, Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey. All rights reserved.
blog comments powered by Disqus